Friday, October 14, 2011

sukkot


Luke got yesterday off for Sukkot, which is another Jewish holiday.  For Sukkot, they build Sukkah's, which is a man-made tent of sorts. The walls can be made out of anything but the roof must be made of organic material like branches and palm leaves. They gather in the Sukkah's to pray and also to eat a large meal. The purpose of building a Sukkot, is to experience how people lived back in the day. From what I understand, the meal is somewhat like a Thanksgiving, with the purpose being to refect on the many blessings of the year. It must not be completly mandatory to actually build a Sukkah, because we went to the park today and we saw people eating their meal in camping tents:)

I found a little written about Sukkah's, (or booths) described in Nehemiah chapter 8.






Luke had a tournament this week. He got MVP of this first game. I was reluctant to take Cole, but I really wanted to go, so I gave it a shot,. I’m glad I did because Luke played great and it was so fun to watch. Cole actually did way better than I expected. The arena is loud, really loud. There are fans banging on drums the whole entire game. It’s a really intense atmosphere.





We got to sit right behind the teams bench. Cole got really excited when he would catch a glimpse of Luke. He would wave to him and squeal, it was really funny. Every time Luke made a shot the cameras would film Cole and I, we got to watch it the next day which was fun. He looked very confused seeing us on TV. Cole loved watching the cheerleaders dance, and they also loved Cole! The cheerleaders are hilarious/ridiculous. They always dance with props. (drumsticks, and hula hoops etc)  Their outfits, dances, are so bizare that they deserve there own blog post. I will get some pictures of them next game. 

We are off to the grocery store. The stores have been closed for 2 days for the holiday and will close again tonight at 4 for Shabbat, (or Sabbath, Saturday) We have been surviving on pita bread and cheese.

If you want to feel closer to us here in Israel, get some middle eastern flatbread and hummus. (Trader joes has both) Its a staple here. 

I'm pretty sure I've ate my weight in hummus already...












5 comments:

  1. Awesome to see pics and hear that Luke is playing well! Love seeing you guys all at the park :) Cole looks so happy!! I miss you lots!!! I had some pita bread and hummus this week, does that count?! I do think of you and pray that things continue to go well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cole is looking like such a big boy! Is the weather changing on you there? He looks cozy in his sweatshirt :)
    I need to read a blog and see a picture of the dancers with props!?! That sounds hilarious! Hope you are doing great!
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  3. The weather is changing! It's still in the low 70's in the daytime, but cools off quite a bit in the evening. It's just starting to feel like fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Hannah, ohh pita bread counts. I've never been a big fan but it's SO good here. We've been eating pita bread with nutella! Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this concept of blogging! Steve and I love all these pictures and the video of Cole walking! I love that side-step thing he's got going. Steve says it's from all those side-to-side dances you guys did with him like he was a puppet. That smile is infectious and how I miss it! Pictures really help! I definitely see more of Luke in him all the time. Well, all of my kids are now blogging - shall I jump in too?
    I remember when we lived in Alaska my mom was always afraid the kids would forget her, and now I understand her worry. Please squeeze Cole and tell him how much we miss him - miss you too Lindsey Girl - and Luke.....I know he already knows I miss him! Love you all. Gramma Kathi

    ReplyDelete